Today, people are more conscious of their health needs now than ever before. Consequently, if we want to extend our lives, improve our lifestyle, and experience optimal health, the way is open; we just have to do it!
So let’s start with some basic information about our bodies. We were designed to be efficient machines, and we are indeed amazing when we follow some basic principles: eat the right foods; exercise; keep our stress level at a minimum; get sufficient sleep; and, enjoy life. Modernization has robbed us of some of the natural ways of keeping healthy; therefore, we have to consciously take charge of our health. Let’s begin with sleep.
Here are a few basic Tips to Get Us Started:
Try to get at least eight hours per day. If unable to get that much, realistically get as much as you possibly can. If you are having difficulty sleeping, try these:
- Take a slow and relaxing bubble bath; listen to some slow, soothing, easy music as you unwind.
- Eat your heaviest meal early; eat lightly if you have to absolutely go beyond 6 pm.
- Eat foods rich in calcium and magnesium.
- Exercise/Walk daily to release the endorphins in your brain.
- Drink a glass of warm milk and honey at bedtime to help you relax.
- If you are a television addict, watch something that is light and relaxing; serious or heavy programs will throw you off.
- Set the television to go off at a certain time, or better still, just turn it off.
- Pray/ Meditate – This can help you relax and help you to sleep peacefully.
- Complete a few sets of deep breathing exercises as you listen to relaxing music.
- Talk with your doctor about trying herbal sleeping alternatives; there are many available. Each person is different so what works for one might not work for the other.
- Make sure you are not constipated as this will often cause discomfort and prevent you from getting a good night’s sleep.
- If you work nights, you may apply any or all of the above but you’ll probably need heavy draperies at your windows or have a sleep mask to shut out the bright lights of day.
You may also need to invest in some ear plugs to filter out the busy noises.
Do not dwell on problems; make a deliberate effort to filter them out of your mind.
Try to go to bed at the same time each night; your body will get into a pattern.
1. Plan a vacation at least once a year.
2. Better, yet, plan weekend getaways for at least once every three months and stick to it.
3. Go on date nights to places that you enjoy – a concert, dinner, play, or a movie. If you can’t do evenings, go for a nice relaxing breakfast at a nice, quiet restaurant.
4. If you are near the ocean or a lake, go for a stroll and just unwind.
5. Take up a hobby/activity and get your spouse or a friend involved, as you’ll enjoy it so much more (e.g., pottery/ceramics, learn a new language, golfing/miniature golfing, exercising, dancing, biking, tennis, swimming, flea market browsing, music box collections, garage sales, cake decoration, snorkeling/scuba diving, fishing, bowling, etc).
6. Plan girls or guys night out and enjoy some wholesome fun and laughter.
7. Go to church and just commit yourself to participating in the great music and other activities.