Dressing is such an important part of our lives; no wonder it takes up so much time. We dress appropriately by dressing in accordance with the reason for that specific outfit. For example, the outfit that would be considered suitable for the beach would be inappropriate for regular office wear. Consequently, you will choose your outfit according to your need. Let’s start with the company for which you work.
Find out the clothing expectations of your company; refer to their handbook for guidelines but also stay in the “now” as many of those rules and guidelines sometimes change. For example, one company may allow flip-flops while another may prohibit that footwear, or, Company A may have allowed open –toed shoes in the past but because of recent workplace accidents, they may have now decided to ban open –toed shoes.
One way to be safe is to observe what the majority of the people are wearing and try to dress accordingly.
For regular office wear for females:
• Dress conservatively (does not mean you have to be dowdy-looking)
• Cover up body parts that could give others the wrong impression about you (do not show cleavage, no imprint or color of underwear, clothes should not be too tight or so short that you cannot bend to pick up your pen)
• Wear colors that make you look good (unless you are restricted to specific colors because of company policy)
• Select styles that are becoming (you may wear a sheath dress that fits well, instead of a baggy dress that makes you look frumpy)
• Wear make-up but do not overdo
• Wear simple jewelry that match with your clothing
• Be sure to dress according to your age (you don’t have to look like an old crone because you are a mature woman but you don’t need to dress like your grand-daughter)
• Know your body shape; what will look great on a pear may not look so becoming on an apple
• Be aware of your skin tone and listen to what people say when you wear the different color. Pink may look good on one person but may make another person’s skin look pale or sallow. Darker skin often looks great with bright colors. Whether you are fair or dark, get in touch with yourself and get to know your skin tone so that you may dress to enhance your appearance.